THE ST. BRIGID'S AT HI-PARK STORY
In the beginning
St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park’s skilled nursing facility has been successfully operating in Red Wing, Minnesota for more than 27 years. In January, 1969, Haven Homes, Inc. (formerly known as Daley Homes) was formed. Located in two separate older homes on East Avenue, the 60 resident houses were required by the state health department to build a new facility. In 1978, the residents began moving into a new generation of skilled nursing care facility. In 1987, a senior apartment building with assisted living was built. This new direction in senior housing was in direct response to the community's desire to have a wider range of housing and health care options for seniors. It was at this time, the name was changed to Haven Health Center and Haven Villa. The apartments are attached to the care center and consist of 44 independent and assisted living retirement apartments.
In 1993, the facility wanted to embrace the community’s roots and brought upon another name change, Hi-Park Care Center and The Villa at Hi-Park. This name reflected the areas history in relationship to their actual location. The site of St. Brigid’s proudly rests on a popular Hi-Park Dairy landmark. It was home to 150 Guernsey’s and was well known and respected for its service to the community.
In December of 1998, and March of 1999, Hi-Park Care Center and The Villa at Hi-Park respectively were purchased by the Benedictine Health System of Duluth and became part of the Benedictine Care Centers. In July of 2004, construction of eight new assisted living units were completed, further meeting the community's needs. In November 2005, the name of the entire campus was changed to St. Brigid's at Hi-Park.
The new name reflects our faith-based association as well as the geographic heritage. The name dates back to the late 1800's and early 1900's showing that the land surrounding the current site was owned and operated by dairy farmers on some of the largest farms in the area. Hi-Park Dairy was owned and operated by the highly recognized dairy farmers, the Hallquist family. Members of the Hallquist family have been tenants and residents in past years carrying on the land's connection.
St. Brigid of Ireland is the Patron Saint associated with dairy farmers and milk maidens. One of the causes she championed was for the care of the poor and the powerless. She respected the fact that the needs of the body and the needs of the spirit are intertwined.
A capital campaign began in 2003 to raise money to create the St. Brigid's Chapel. Because St. Brigid’s is committed to their mission of providing spiritually based care, the facility built the new chapel in 2006. During this capital improvement project, 90 percent of St. Brigid’s employees participated in the fundraising, making the staff one of the largest total dollar contributors in the effort. This is a true testament to the staffs love of the people and the environment in which they work and serve.
St. Brigid’s at Hi-Park daily honors the core values of Hospitality, Stewardship, Respect and Justice.